The History of disAbility Connections, Inc. 

Our history goes back to 1916 when the then one-year-old Rotary Club of Jackson launched a club project by helping a child with a disability living in Jackson County.  This project continued to grow and in 1924, the first clinic was held at which two hundred children with disabilities were examined. 

In 1925, the Jackson County Society for Crippled Children was incorporated as a nonprofit with Rotarians serving as officers of the corporation.

In 1978, the Society began serving adults with disabilities as well as children.  With this change came a new name - Handicapped Children & Adults Society of Jackson County.

In 1993, the Society created the Handicapped Children & Adults Foundation of Jackson County to provide a permanent base of funding to ensure the longevity of the Society. 

In 1999, the Jackson County Society for Handicapped Children & Adults and United Cerebral Palsy Association of Jackson merged to form a new nonprofit called disAbility Connections, Inc.

Our financial support comes from our friends in the local community by way of individual donations, bequests and memorials, business contributions, state and federal funding, the Rotary Clubs of Jackson, other service clubs and fundraising events.  Without the support of our community, local partners and a state-wide network, we would not have the ability to impact individuals in their persuit of independence.

 

 

 


disAbility Connections, Inc.      409 Linden Ave.      Jackson, MI   49203      Phone:  (517) 782-6054      Fax:  (517)  782-3118

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software